Sunday, July 6, 2008

REVIEW (CD): Tim and Eric Awesome Record, Great Songs!

As a long-time fan of the comedic geniuses Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, I have always taken a liking to their offbeat, alternative brand of humor. Ever since I discovered them, the music in their various shows has always added to the hilarity.

Whether it be a ridiculously long and intense remix of another one of their songs or an intentionally shitty-sounding MIDI-quality track, they know exactly what makes some music funny, and satirize it right to the tee.

So anyway, knowing this about their music, there was no fucking way I would miss out on this CD. I fell in love with these songs when I originally heard them on Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! so just having them in their original format would have pleased me. However, to my intense glee, I found that not only were my favorite songs from the show on this album, but they had been enhanced and perfected for my listening pleasure. "Salame" never sounded so crisp and clear. Certain songs from the show have been remixed to flow with the rest of the album and not one of them is overdone to the point of ruining the integrity and charm of the original song.

Some of the tracks on this CD are absolutely crazy. DJ Douggpound did an excellent job with his contributions to the album, including a massive remix of th T&EASGJ! theme song that incorporates countless random songs and jingles from the show into it, throwing them into the track beatmatched with the Awesome Show theme song. On the first playthrough, this song is a T&E fan's cream dream. A fucking cream dream.



On top of the original songs and in-house remixes, a few indie covers of popular songs from the show are included on the CD, including covers by Built To Spill, A to Z, and The Shins. These songs are some of my favorites on the whole album. Also, as if the already huge track list wasn't enough, Tim and Eric added some bonus tracks to their website that you can download for absolutely free. Get those here for a free preview of the album!

Here is the complete 49-song track listing (after downloading the bonus tracks) for Awesome Record, Great Songs!:
  1. "Sports!"
  2. I Sit Down When I Pee
  3. Doo Dah Doo Doo
  4. Beaver Boys
  5. Salame (with David Hart)
  6. Time Travel
  7. Rolo Tony
  8. Poke On
  9. Petite Feet
  10. Sit On You
  11. Father and Son (with D.L. Hart)
  12. My Sister's Cute
  13. Hamburgers and Hotdogs
  14. Pumpers and Tumblers
  15. Pizza Boy (featuring David Cross)
  16. Come Over
  17. The New You (featuring Maria Bamford)
  18. Hearts (Featuring Aimee Mann)
  19. Beach Blast
  20. Stay In School (with D.L. Hart)
  21. Dirty Socks
  22. Horse and Buggy Ride
  23. The Snuggler
  24. All of My Life
  25. Raz
  26. Long Legs
  27. No Sunsets
  28. Shrimp and White Wine
  29. Marcama (with D.L. Hart)
  30. Here She Comes (Featuring Bob Odenkirk)
  31. Casey's Lost
  32. Lost In The Wheel
  33. Love Slaves
  34. Wipe My Butt
  35. Together Forever
  36. Awesome Show Theme (Feat. DJ Douggpound)
  37. Wipe My Butt (featuring The Shins)
  38. Come Over (featuring Built To Spill)
  39. Where's My Chippy (Featuring DJ Douggpound)
  40. One for Pep Pep (Flying Lotus Remix)
  41. Sports! (Sports Bar Remix)
  42. Sports! (Dance Club Remix)
  43. Come Over (A to Z)
  44. Salame Rock
  45. Snuggler 8 Bit
  46. Rolo Tony (Uncut)
  47. Cops and Robbers (A to Z)
  48. Big Ben 2 (A to Z)
  49. Crackers and Snacks

As you can see, that is a quite an offering for one album that you can find for $10-$12 online. For any Tim and Eric fan, this album is an absolute must-buy; no questions asked. For anyone else, watch the show a few times. If you like it, I don't think this album can disappoint. For me, it is fucking glorious. This will be cued up on my iPod for a long time.

Overall Score:
9.5/10

Preview Tracks:



Salame!

No comments: